Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Copyright for Staff

As a staff member, what can I copy?

Under the statutory licence (section 113P)* of the Copyright Act SAE staff are permitted to make multiple copies of print and electronic material for teaching and administrative purposes. In brief, the limits for a unit of study are:

  • Book - 10% or one chapter of a book, whichever is the greater.
  • Periodical - one article from any single issue of a journal, or in a case where there are several articles in the journal on the same topic, more than one article may be copied.
  • Dramatic work - A reasonable portion. In a work greater than ten pages, one chapter or 10% of pages (10% of words if electronic source).
  • Sheet music - 10% of a work greater than 10 pages.
  • Artwork - All of a work that has not been separately published.

Are there restrictions on books of readings?

A copyright statement must be included on the front or verso page of all printed books of readings produced for SAE units and courses.  The readings should also contain a contents page, which provides full bibliographic details (Author, Year, Title of Journal Article, or Book Chapter, Page Numbers) for each article, book chapter, and/or other item being reproduced. Use APA 7th ed. referencing style. Class handouts do not require a copyright notice.

Can I put material online?

You are permitted to put print and electronic material online for teaching purposes, in accordance with the statutory licence (section 113P)* of the Copyright Act. 

Please contact the library if you would like to share a PDF with your students. The library will upload the PDF of the reading into the SAE Library Readings Management System and supply you with the link you can share on Campus Online or other teaching platforms. The digital reproduction must be accessible only to students and staff of SAE.

If a journal or a book is only available in the SAE library in print format, current students and staff can request an article or chapter from the item to be digitised. Please see further information about the process of requesting a digitisation or requesting articles and chapters from other libraries. 

* The Copyright Act contains a statutory licence under which the institute can copy and communicate works and broadcasts for educational purposes subject to a number of conditions. The statutory licence is set out in section 113P of the Copyright Act.

Licensed Electronic Resources

If you acquire copies of, or access to, material in digital form, your rights to use the material will be governed by a licence from the copyright owner, rather than by provisions in the Copyright Act. Examples of licensed digital resources are: online journals, online databases, computer programs, e-books, multimedia items such as computer games, digital music, digital film and video.

In general, these agreements do not permit you to make multiple copies for teaching use; nor do they permit you to copy licensed resources to another location for purposes of student access.  Linking directly to an electronic book, a video, an image, or an article in an online journal or newspaper, is not considered creating a copy of the work, and thus Direct Linking is the preferred option of sharing resources online.  Please use the SAE Library Linking Guide or contact library staff for assistance.

Course Readings

The SAE library manages digitised copies of readings from print materials that are available in the SAE library collection. Articles and chapters that aren’t available in SAE library collections may be requested by contacting the library. It is essential that electronic copies of unit readings are uploaded and accessed through SAE's Readings Management System to ensure copyright compliance. Explore the SAE Reading List Best Practice Guide or contact your campus librarian for assistance.

You must give credit to the author when you copy

The Copyright Act includes "moral rights" for creators. These are the rights of attribution and integrity. Briefly, this means that there is a legal obligation to give credit to a person's work when you quote it or include it in readings or lecture notes.

What about music, films and videos?

You do not need permission to play music, or show a film, video or DVD in class, as long as it is for educational purposes and not for profit. You must use a legitimate copy otherwise you are infringing copyright.

Music, films, videos and DVDs, may not be copied for teaching purposes without the written permission of the copyright owners.

It is not permissible to copy and communicate material from TV or radio, as SAE does not hold an AMCOS or Screenrights licence. Material from broadcasters’ websites and AV files made available online, are restricted by the licence terms and conditions of the broadcaster.

If you are playing or screening material other than in the course of educational instruction (e.g. at film nights), you need to get a copy from a distributor licensed for public performances.

Copyright and the Internet

Material found on the Internet is not necessarily “free”. Copyright law applies to online as well as printed material. You should be particularly cautious about accessing music and video on the Internet. Music and video available for download from websites or through peer-to-peer networks may be in the form of illegal copies, which infringe copyright. Having illegal copies on your computer makes you vulnerable to prosecution.

It is legitimate to show YouTube videos in class as long as the video is streamed directly from the site and it is not for profit.

Computer software

If you are the owner or a licensed user of a computer program, the law allows you to make copies of that program for backup, to develop interoperable programs, to correct errors, and to test security. Copying of software for any other purpose is a copyright infringement, and carries heavy penalties.

Powerpoint presentations

The Copyright Act allows copyright material to be reproduced in powerpoint presentations for educational purposes. You must attribute this copyright material with a full citation. Limits apply similar to those for printed material. Material, which is placed online, must have restricted access to students and staff of the institution. A copyright warning notice should be included so that it is viewed prior to the presentation.

Copyright and research

The Copyright Act makes special provisions for research so that you may copy a reasonable portion of a copyright work for your own research or study. A reasonable portion, for these purposes is:

  • 10% or one chapter of a book, whichever is the greater, or
  • one article from any single issue of a journal. Where there are several articles in the journal on the same topic, more articles may be copied if you need them for the same research project.

Ownership of copyright

SAE have a comprehensive policy on the ownership of intellectual property created by staff during the course of their employment. Refer to the SAE website for details.

Generally, the copyright in works created by students is their property, and their permission should be obtained before any use is made of their work, regardless of the purpose.